Wednesday 11 July 2012

A year on Fuerteventura

One year ago this day, I came to live on this island, without much of a clue what I am going to do. By that time, my old job was already fading from memory; not that there was any chance (or desire) to find anything similar on Fuerteventura. On the other hand, I was freshly qualified as a Zumba and Aqua Zumba instructor and, according to the Zumba web site, there were no other instructors on the island. The phase transition from an unemployed scientist to an unemployed fitness instructor was almost complete. Here are a few things that I’ve learned, Zumba-wise:
  1. People are not exactly queuing to attend Zumba classes here
  2. I can give a 90-minute class of Zumba and stay alive
  3. I can give four Zumba classes a week and still stay alive
  4. If nobody turns up for the class, it is not the end of the world. The beach is nearby
  5. It is unlikely that Zumba classes will pay my bills
Is one year a long time? Not really. Not on Fuerteventura anyway. Things do not happen fast on la Isla Tranquila, and if they did, it won’t be la Isla Tranquila any longer. With or without Zumba, I’m here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment